Sunday 5 March 2017

Who boarded the train ?

                     It was more than ten minutes now since the train had halted at the station. Everyone was becoming restless, especially the passengers from the AC coach. You see the AC was turned off and the temperature in the compartments started rising. I saw a couple of passengers walking on the platform and asking about the halt, as this station is not a regular halt. I heard a tea seller yelling that the rail line is broken and it may take indefinite time to repair. 
While I was looking out of the window, a man lying under the tree shade caught my eye. He was lying there as a carefree soul. I have envied to be in that state since I hit adulthood. I was drawn towards to the man and in no time I found my self under that tree shade. I took out my pack of cigarette and was about to light it, when the man next to me was awaken at the sound of my mobile ringtone.
I disconnected the call and apologised to him. These gadgets have got you addicted, he said. He was conversing in english to my surprise. Before we could start talking, he asked me for a cigarette. Then he borrowed a light. Then he went quiet and started looking at the fields. I too struck my gaze at the fields. He continued, son can you hear the wind blowing by us. Yes, I said. That is mother nature speaking to you, he continued. I was a senior manager in Bangalore. I could not handle the fast pace any longer and moved here. I manage an outlet at the station and make a living out of it. But I have time for myself and appreciate the gods green earth to the fullest. And then he went silent and went back to gazing the fields.
The silence was broken by the air horn of the engine. It started puffing smoke. I got up haphazardly to rush towards the train so that I don't miss it. I was physically present in the train but something was missing.
Have you ever been on a train? At times the train stops at a station waiting for  line man to direct it towards the correct direction. You are in your coach and you look out of the window and notice a man lying under the shade of a tree. You can hear and feel the breeze. You think of a happy and carefree life you would have if you were that man. But then the train puffs smoke and you run to catch the train. Is it you who boarded the train or you were left at the station? 

background picture courtesy https://www.instagram.com/streets.of.india/

5 comments:

Prateek Kumar said...

Truly thought provoking Short yet powerful. Well done Sahil!

Shatabdi Mitra said...

I might become that man someday.... Leave everything behind and live a life in some serene picturesque land... :-)

paurush said...

Nice piece of writing, Keep it up....

Natasha said...

good work sahil

Ramesh Thakur said...

Very well written Sahil !!

अवसरों की खोज में: एक आत्मविश्वास की कहानी

शहर की बेमिती पलकों में, वहाँ एक आदमी का रूप, बेरोज़गारी के आबा में लिपटा, अकेला दिल की धड़कन में, अवसरों के समुंदर में बहती एक अकेला आत्मा,...