Sunday 26 March 2017

CHANGE THE ONLY CONSTANT

         The counter at the food joint was hardly visible. People were stuck to the counter such as bees to honey. The roadside snacks shop usually had a swarm of people throughout the day. On the other side of the counter was a man drenched in his own sweat standing and shouting the orders. There were some food items in the glass counter which had a 100 watt bulb.  The purpose of the bulb other than emitting light was to keep the food warm. Inside the room was a big gas stove. On top of which was a big black kadhaai filled with smearing hot samosas. On the right side of the room along with the wall was a bench which had the uncooked items.

       I was going to KOLKATA as it is referred now, after 10 years. The air was nostalgic around me. When I got down at the station after a tiresome journey my eyes lit up, when I saw the known faces. My brother and chachu had come to receive me. The childhood memories rushed back to me as it was yesterday, when we were being received by our grandparents from our visit to mamabadi in Punjab. We are a punjabi family, settled in Calcutta. 

Before my brother came into the picture, me being the only son to my parents, I was the apple of the eye. Every demand of mine was met. The person who made sure that I never get my eyes moist was my grandfather. He was a man of wit, knowledge and wisdom. He was a mathematic wizard for me. He was too good with the numbers. It is because of him that my interest in mathematics grew stronger. Though it has always been really challenging for me to solve the problems, where I was asked to find “x” or the probability of the balls being red or yellow in the bag. But imaginary calculation was taught to me by my mother. Here the space in front of me used to become my slate and my finger was the chalk. I would make the calculation in the air with the help of my finger and formulate the answer. The day I did the calculation correct at the stationary store, her was the proudest smile. 

    It so happened that my parents and I went to the stationary store to buy chart papers and settle for the monthly newspaper bill. The stationary store owner chandan da used to deliver newspapers. He used to come on his cycle in front of the building and aim at the house, his aim was so perfect that the newspaper always used to knock the correct door.  His store had an amazing collection of fountain pens. My fascination towards fountain pens grew stronger because of his store. While storekeeper chandan da was about to sum the total expenses on the calculator, I shouted the answer. My mother turned towards me and smiled and that is when I knew that I have mastered the art.

    The taxi crossed Dum Dum station. The road was completely changed. There is a railway bridge which when crossed brought back so many memories. Once I and my father were heading back home and had to cross the underpass. It had rained so heavy that underpass was flooded and it was chaotic everywhere. I had made sure in my mind never to come this way during rains. Just a few meters away was my school. It was always tough for me to find the gate as there used to be the roadside vendors selling vegetables and fish. The gate still looked the same. 


         The entire stretch from the school till my home was surreal. For a moment I even thought that we were not on the correct route. We crossed the same snacks shop. It was completely transformed. The live kitchen had disappeared. Next day I visited the shop. The snacks didn’t taste the same. I enquired about the modification. The owner told me he had purchased the shop 3 years back. That moment I realised that nothing is constant forever. All my childhood memories are memories only. I will not be able to relive them again. I felt a little sad, then finished my chop and left.

4 comments:

Shatabdi Mitra said...

The descriptions are so good that I could literally visualise the situations...

Natasha said...

post my visits to kolkata can relate to what u described it like but a lot of places are still like ur school days. A city which has still not grown ....

Earn Money Online said...

You have beautifully described the situation from the street vendors surrounded by the crowd, your childhood memories to the taste of snacks which has changed over years.

Unknown said...

Remembering my chill *child days, your post brings nostalgia!

अवसरों की खोज में: एक आत्मविश्वास की कहानी

शहर की बेमिती पलकों में, वहाँ एक आदमी का रूप, बेरोज़गारी के आबा में लिपटा, अकेला दिल की धड़कन में, अवसरों के समुंदर में बहती एक अकेला आत्मा,...