Sunday 11 June 2017

THE RE - ENGINEERED MAN

   Eventually, the day will come when the human race will be ironically eliminated by the so called human creations. This thought sounds far fetched and unreal to most of us. But it is true to a certain extent. When I was young about 6 years old, my grandfather told me this and I quote “these machines have taken our jobs and the time will come soon enough that these contraptions will rule us and we would be mere puppets in the hands them”. It was just another one of the statements that my grandfather used to recite a lot. It didn’t bother me much as I was busy figuring out how the Centurions will be able to save the day and will Ash be able to win his next badge with the help of Pikachu.
     In the year 2003 when Terminator - Rise of the machines exhibited the future to be in the hands of Skynet. Skynet was a computer programme built by the humans to increase efficiency which was later the reason for the extinction of the human race. The plot of the movie was as bad as the money it made for the production house. No one would have thought that we will be facing such a situation where the software and gadgets made by the humans will be used against the eliminating humans from their jobs. The difference between the reel and the real story is that the humans were hunted down by the machines in the movie, whereas in the real life the human race is being killed indirectly i.e. by being left out to dry without jobs.
    Technology has advanced terrifically in the last decade. New software and gadgets have challenged the wits of every individual irrespective of the generation they belong to. My parents find the video calling feature to be a boon. I appear to be so far yet so close to them during our video calls everyday. My mother never fails to praise the good lord for inventing such a technology during her every call. Earlier she used to complain about feeling lonely during the day. But now she is eager to finish her work, just to complete the game from the last saved point in her phone. Technology has surely come a long way for her and is continuously surprising as each day progresses. 
      Coming to the present day, I see a lot of worried faces around me in the office. I had always heard about the tension and stress the term recession attracts but have never witnessed the same until the last ten days. The media has only added fuel to it by flashing news of thousands of employees being laid off by the multinational corporations. This activity is being effectuated basis a report that postulates about an economic meltdown which might take place in the coming years. I really find it hard to gulp it down my throat, that a set of senior managers sitting in their cushioned chairs, high up the ladder with questionable forecasting skills believe in a report published by another organisation about the turmoil that has a probability of 50-50.
    It has been nearly two decades since I heard the statement from my grandfather. And I believe that the prophecy is turning out to be true. I feel like the John Conner being warned by the terminator about the future, but it was the terminator who was sent to kill him in the first part. I doubt his intentions today. 
     Will there be a silver lining to all this or the Judgement Day has arrived and awaiting at the threshold. And it is just a matter of time for the hell to break loose and the humans will be re-engineered?

No comments:

अवसरों की खोज में: एक आत्मविश्वास की कहानी

शहर की बेमिती पलकों में, वहाँ एक आदमी का रूप, बेरोज़गारी के आबा में लिपटा, अकेला दिल की धड़कन में, अवसरों के समुंदर में बहती एक अकेला आत्मा,...